Wednesday 22 October 2014

Sweetened condensed milk {paleo & vegan}

I wish I could say I was a fall girl. I'm not a fan of the legendary Pumpkin Spice Latte, I don't care for cranberry sauce and I honestly hate wearing pants. I am a beach loving, flip flop wearing, bathing suit and dresses kind of girl.  For me, fall is saved by chunky scarves and sweaters, crunchy leaves and the sudden demand for baking anything and everything that is rich, intensely flavourful and sweet. I'm all for that.

Since it happens to be that time of year again, I figured I would share a simple staple in my fall baking supplies; condensed milk. As a kid, I was one of the weird ones who loved sweetened condensed milk. Licking the back of an Eagle Brand lid was heavenly. Gross, I know, but there was something delicious about it back then. Now I won't touch the stuff, so I figured I would try my hand at making my own.  Condensed milk is useful for many fall and winter recipes, including pies and coconut macaroons. To date this recipe has worked wonders for pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars and coconut macaroons. Once chilled, it turns into a thick pudding, making it a good base for creme brulees or simply to be eaten on its own. It could easily take the place of yogurt in a recipe or simply be used to thicken a recipe that calls for milk or buttermilk. I've tried making it with coconut sugar and xylitol (for a friend who cannot use any other kind of sweetener in her baked goods) and both have worked just fine, although I prefer the caramel flavour that the coconut sugar lends to the milk. Keep this recipe in your back pocket when making your deliciously rich goodies this fall and feel free to let me know what else you're trying!

Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk {paleo & vegan}

1 can Arroy-D Coconut Milk (Do not use light coconut milk or coconut cream)
2-8 tbs coconut sugar, or other sweetener like honey, maple syrup etc, depending on sweetness. (Note: if using Xylitol, use 1-2 tbs as it is extremely sweet. It also thickens faster)
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, do not discard pod

In a small pot, mix all ingredients, including the scraped vanilla bean.

Bring mixture to a boil and let bubble for 20-30 seconds. Reduce heat to low. Mixture should be bubbling slightly, but not quite at a simmer.

Leave on low for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally and scraping down the sides as needed.  Mixture will reduce to half or even less of original amount.  Remove from heat when desired thickness is achieved. (1 hour = runny when cold, 2- 3 hours = thick pudding when cold) Discard vanilla bean.

Transfer to glass bowl or jar and refrigerate. Enjoy as is or use as a replacement for traditional sweetened condensed milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment